Birding Gulls Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Video: banding Ring-billed Gulls at Forest Lake, Palmer, Massachusetts

3 posters

Go down

Video: banding Ring-billed Gulls at Forest Lake, Palmer, Massachusetts Empty Video: banding Ring-billed Gulls at Forest Lake, Palmer, Massachusetts

Post  Admin Thu Feb 11, 2010 5:27 pm

Admin
Admin
Admin

http://gabbianigulls.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Video: banding Ring-billed Gulls at Forest Lake, Palmer, Massachusetts Empty Re: Video: banding Ring-billed Gulls at Forest Lake, Palmer, Massachusetts

Post  Laud Mon Feb 22, 2010 11:32 am

I really don't like this socks(or whatever) on gulls' heads.. What would they do if the bird escapes them? And I don't think the gulls can bite that hard and they are not any calmer in this way...

What do you other think?

Laud

Back to top Go down

Video: banding Ring-billed Gulls at Forest Lake, Palmer, Massachusetts Empty Re: Video: banding Ring-billed Gulls at Forest Lake, Palmer, Massachusetts

Post  Phil Wed Feb 24, 2010 3:40 am

Laud wrote:I really don't like this socks(or whatever) on gulls' heads.. What would they do if the bird escapes them? And I don't think the gulls can bite that hard and they are not any calmer in this way...

What do you other think?

Covering up a bird's eyes is supposed to render it almost completely docile. I'm not entirely sure why - but it seems to work.

Phil

Back to top Go down

Post  Laud Wed Feb 24, 2010 11:11 am

Phil wrote:
Covering up a bird's eyes is supposed to render it almost completely docile. I'm not entirely sure why - but it seems to work.

I think that the key phrase here is "supposed to" because these gulls are not docile at all.. I know it usually works with other birds... Much better thing in cases like this is to cover them with blanket or something like that while extracting from the net (like Frank Majoor does).. I've started doing so and the gulls are much calmer.. This is very good for bigger catches.

Laud

Back to top Go down

Post  Phil Sat Feb 27, 2010 2:23 am

[quote="Laud"]
Phil wrote:
I think that the key phrase here is "supposed to" because these gulls are not docile at all.. I know it usually works with other birds... Much better thing in cases like this is to cover them with blanket or something like that while extracting from the net (like Frank Majoor does).. I've started doing so and the gulls are much calmer.. This is very good for bigger catches.

Well, they're more docile than they would be if their eyes were uncovered. rabbit

Phil

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down